Saturday, July 28, 2012

Travel Home


Amazing how the Journey ends.  It all began Thursday night at 5pm Tallahassee time.  That is when we woke up to Travel to the airport to get on our flight from Shanghai to Detroit.  Everything was going as scheduled.  The flight, even though extremely long, went very well.  When we arrived in Detroit at 1pm, they were having quite of a storm.  Little did we know that right after we arrived that no flights were arriving or leaving the airport because of rain and lightning.  Delay after delay was starting to wreak havoc on our flight plans.  After I saw that we were not going to make our connecting flight in Atlanta at 2:40pm  I headed to the counter to see if there was another flight that we could get on.  There just happened to be one more flight that left Atlanta at 8:48pm.  We booked that one as we waited to see when we were going to get to leave.  We boarded the flight at about 6:40pm and the flight did not leave till 7:20pm.  It was going to be close but we thought there was a good chance that we could make it.  Still after getting to Atlanta the getting to the gate seemed to drag on and delay more and more.  We finally got off the plane at about 9:10pm.  Our only hope was that if that flight was delayed that we were supposed to get on.  Once we found the TV’s with the flights on them, ours had already left on time.  There were no more options.  All that Delta could do was to get us a discounted room at a Holiday Inn Express.  That was still going to be $140 for 2 rooms.  We headed out to find a taxi and with talking to the attendant there she said it was about a 30 to 40 minute drive.  We stood there confused as to why they would put us in a hotel that far away from the airport.  I so wanted to rent a car and drive home.  Lisa said none of us are in any shape to be driving with no sleep.  As we tried to find out what to do, a lady that lives in Atlanta steps up seeing how we were so confused on what to do, where are you trying to go?  We told her the name of the hotel and she wondered why they would do that to us as well.  Wanting to help we talk with her for a minute or so and out of no where she says, why don’t you come stay at my house tonight.  She said, I have to take a cab anyway that work is paying for.  Lisa and I were a little taken back by it all and kinda looked at each other like, what should we do.  God had his hands all over our plans.  We still do not know why were not supposed to fly back to Tallahassee last night but it just wasn’t mean to be.  She has a large home and has 10 children of her own.  Two that were hers and the other children were adopted.  She told us how active her church was with adoption. Most of her children are grown now and there were some empty beds.  She was even so kind as to give up her room us and EmmaLin since her husband was out of town.  How gracious can someone be.  As I sit and blog on the bedroom floor of a total strangers house, I realize how wonderful gods plans for us are.  He had it all under control as we ran around trying to make it all work.  We have gotten a few hours sleep but could not sleep very long cause our bodies clock think it is in the middle of the day still.  She will take us back to the airport for a 11:20am flight and we will finally be able to make it home.  Thank you Lord for watching over us.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny... I went into work this morning and while I was finishing lunch I read your post. When I got to the point of the 11:20 flight, I looked at the clock on the computer... it was 11:17am. I hope you are all home, safe and sound and resting. It will take time for you to readjust to our time. Plus, emotionally, you all must be exhausted. So incredibly happy for your. Your post this morning gave me goosebumps. God has watched over you throughout this journey. May He continue to bless you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following this site because I am a coworker with your cousin Jim's wife Linda M. It has been inspiring to watch your journey as a family. I especially love the video on the other site of showing her her new room. :-) I know it's been less than a week, but how is she settling in? Was there any more paperwork stuff to take care of on this side of the ocean?
    As I said, it has been inspiring to watch you all welcome this little girl into your loving family - I hope to adopt someday myself.
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the woman who had the joy and privelege of having this sweet family with us for the night! If you want to read my version of this same story, which will be posted today, go to Hopeathomeblog.blogspot.com

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete